6th November 2020
November - World Vegan Month
Veganism is growing as a lifestyle each year. According to The Vegan Society, “A 2018 Oxford University study – which is the most comprehensive analysis to date of the damage farming does to the planet – found that ‘avoiding meat and dairy is the single biggest way to reduce your impact on Earth’ as animal farming provides just 18% of calories but takes up 83% of our farmland.” And it seems a lot of people are making the switch.
We caught up with our head chef to get some great vegan ingredients that you may want to add to your store cupboards:
• Raw or Frozen Fruit and Veg – This is a given really, as it’s a staple of Vegan cuisine.
• Barley, Rice & Quinoa – Hearty grains are both filling and nutritious. They also form a good base for meat-substitutes with sauces.
• Dried Split Pea and Black-eyed Peas – Perfect to cook in advance and freeze for quick lunches.
• Vegan Cheese (Nut or Soy-based) – Tasty on a plant-based burger or on its own with Vegan crackers.
• Popcorn – The perfect, portable snack. We recommend seasoning with Cajun spices for a fun kick.
• Chia Seeds – A nutritional heavyweight. These little seeds pack so many antioxidants and minerals, they’re a good add to almost every dish.
Read more on our blog
Read more recipes from Chef Grant. Keep up to date with recipes and everything going on at our restaurant.